Prof. Dr. Alex Gershman†
Statistical signal and array processing; robust adaptive beamforming; space-time coding and MIMO systems; SDMA and smart antennas for wireless communications; multiuser communications; physics-based signal processing with applications to randomly inhomogeneous media; underwater towed and matched-field array processing; signal processing for radar and seismology
Biography and publication list
Academic awards and honors
- Fellow of IEEE (effective January 2006) “for contributions to adaptive beamforming and sensor array processing”
- 2006 IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Society M.Barry Carlton Best Paper Award for the 2004 IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems paper co-authored by G.A. Fabrizio and M.D. Turley.
- 2004 IEEE Signal Processing Best Paper Award for the 2003 IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing paper co-authored by S.A. Vorobyov, and Z.-Q.Luo.
- 2005 IEEE Signal Processing Society Young Author Best Paper Award for the 2002 IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing paper co-authored by M. Pesavento and K.M. Wong.
- 2002 Young Explorers Prize from the Canadian Institute for Advanced Research (CIAR). This prize has honored Canada's top 20 researchers in science and engineering aged 40 and under.
- 2001 Wolfgang Paul Award “in recognition of outstanding achievements in science” from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation. This award has been anounced to be the highest-amount research award in academic history of Germany and one of the highest-amount in the world. In 2001, it was conferred upon 14 researchers worldwide and in all disciplines.
- 2000 Premier's Research Excellence Award “for research in statistical array signal processing with application to robust adaptive beamforming and smart antennas”, Ontario, Canada.
- Prof. Gershman co-authored the 2002 IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing Paper for which the first author (M. Pesavento) received the ITG Best Paper Award.
- 1995-1996 Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship, Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany
- 1994-1995 Swiss Academy of Technical Science and Branco Weiss Foundation Fellowship, Switzerland
- 1994 Outstanding Young Researcher (Presidential) Fellowship, Russia
- 1993 Young Scientist Award of 24th Assembly of Union of Radio Science Int. (URSI), Japan
Editorial board memberships
- IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Member or Editorial Board, 2008
- IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Editor-in-Chief, 2006-2008
- IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Associate Editor, 1999-2005
- EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, Editorial Board Member, since 2003
- EURASIP Signal Processing Journal, Editorial Board Member, since 2005
- Guest co-editor of a special issue Convex Optimization Methods for Signal Processing of IEEE Journal on Selected Topics in Signal Processing
- Guest co-editor of a special issue Advances in Smart Antennas of EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing, published in 2004.
- Chair of Sensor Array and Multichannel Technical Committee of the IEEE Signal Processing Society
- Member of Signal Processing Theory and Methods Technical Committee of the IEEE Signal Processing Society
- 2008 ITG/IEEE Int. Workshop on Smart Antennas, Co-Chair, February 2008, Darmstadt, Germany.
- 2008 IEEE Sensor Array and Multichannel (SAM) Workshop, General Co-Chair, July 2008, Darmstadt, Germany.
- 2006 European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO)
- Tutorial Chair, September 2006, Florenz, Italien
- 2006 IEEE Sensor Array and Multichannel (SAM) Workshop Technical Co-Chair, Juli 2006, Waltham, MA, USA
- 2005 IEEE Workshop on Computational Advances in Multi-Sensor Adaptive Processing (IEEE CAMSAP) General Co-Chair, Dezember 2005, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
- 2004 ITG/IEEE Int. Workshop on Smart Antennas Co-Chair, April 2004, Duisburg, Deutschland
- 2003 IEEE Int. Symposium on Signal Processing and Inf. Technology (ISSPIT'03) Technical Co-Chair, December 2003, Darmstadt, Deutschland